They Also Serve
David and his army of 600 had gone off to battle and left their families at Ziklag. While gone, the Amalekites had raided the town and taken their families captive.
David started off with 600, but 200 were too tired. Thus, he left them behind to guard their goods.
Several things are important.
- David did not go hastily. (Verse 8)
- He asked the Lord.
- The Lord assured victory.
- David did not overtax his people. (Verse 9-10)
- Some had reached their limit.
- God had promised victory so he could confidently go on.
- David shared the benefits with all. (Verse 24)