In the New Testament, the word for blessed is used only of God.
In verse three we have the expression of praise to God.
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Why do we bless the Lord?
- Given us every spiritual blessing. Verse 3
- Chose us. Made us holy and blameless. Verse 4
- Adopted us. Verse 5
- Redeemed us. Forgiven our sins. Verse 7
- Lavished riches of His grace upon us. Verse 8
- Revealed His will. Verse 9
- Grace – is getting exactly the opposite of what we deserve.
- Justice is what we deserve.
- Mercy is less than what we deserve.
- Grace is exactly what we don’t deserve.
- Abundant supply.
- There is no shortage of God’s grace.
- Expresses great delight is being extravagant towards us.