Every person can have the benefits of the Holy Spirit’s presence. Those benefits are shown in the revealed meaning of “comforter” or “helper.” The Greek word that is translated “comforter or helper” in verse 16 is the word “paraclete.” The word “paraclete” conveys much more than the word “comforter.” Even the word “paraclete” does not reveal the total ministry of Jesus.
- The Holy Spirit is our advocate.
- One who intercedes for us. (Romans 8:26)
- The Holy Spirit is our instructor.
- The Holy Spirit is our comforter.
- Another of the same kind.
- The Holy Spirit continues or completes the work Jesus was doing.